How to setup file indexing
- go to your SERVER MANAGER
- select FILE SERVICES
- select ADD ROLE SERVICES
- put a check mark beside WINDOWS INDEX SERVICE and click NEXT
- select the partition(s) you want indexed. Generally this you will only select drives that contain network file shares and not the Operating System drive.
- wait 5 minutes for it to install (on the installs I have done, I have NOT had to reboot, but the installer tells you that it MIGHT request a reboot, so be prepared for that)
- After the install is complete you can check your services for WINDOWS INDEX SERVICE to ensure it is STARTED
- You may also want to view the indexing progressa and settings by clicking START, typing INDEX and then clicking INDEXING OPTIONS
Your searches on your windows 7 / Vista client, against the Windows 2008 file server will now take less than 3 seconds, which is pretty impressive.